Monday 20 June 2011

Distance learning or nearness learning?



I am now seven weeks into a MBA with the Open University Business School and it is clear that the challenge of combining full time work with part time studying is not to be underestimated.  I am not advocating that a full time MBA is an easy option, however, the discipline, time management and dedication needed to succeed in an executive MBA programme is worthy of note.  For me the key to success, and I must caveat that statement with the obvious observation that I have only just started, is foresight, flexibility coupled with a positive outlook.

 However, from my perspective the benefits of studying for a MBA whilst being in a full time job are obvious.  First, I am able to continue with my career.  Second, the impact on my family is minimised by no dramatic change in personal circumstances i.e. giving up work, although it is fair to say that studying part time requires considerable support from family and friends.  Finally, and most importantly from my perspective, I am able to immediately apply what I am learning within my work environment and this enables me to generate learning cycles which benefit me, my organisation and my fellow students.

This process is aided by the fact that modern technology means that I am able to carry around a “university in my pocket” so that via a smart phone or any computer with Internet capability I can access the course, the library and my fellow students.  This has affected how I work and I now actively plan to take moments of reflection to consider how what I am learning on the MBA can help me in work and conversely how what I am doing and learning at work can help me to understand the concepts being taught.  The synergy generated by this interaction cannot be underestimated.

That said, it is less than two weeks before I meet my tutor and tutor group for the first time and I am really looking forward to meeting all of the people I have been interacting with over the last few weeks.

Cognisant that I still on the sunny uplands and that I have not started the real climbing yet I am glad to say that I am really enjoying the course.  There is a long way to go and there will be tricky bits to come, however, if it was easy it probably would not be worth doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment